Saraswathi Narayanan College History

Saraswathi Narayanan College Founders

Saraswathi Narayanan College Founders

Saraswathi Narayanan College came into existence in July 1966 in this ancient citadel of learning wholly due to the munificence, breadth of vision and love of learning Thiru. L. Narayanan Chettiar and Thirumathi. Saraswathi Narayanan had in founding the Narayanan Cheffiar Trust in 1957. This college is a post-graduate college affiliated to the Madurai Kamaraj University and has been sponsored by the above trust which was formed with the twin objectives of promoting education and providing relief to the poor and the needy.

The college is ideally situated in a sylvan setting near the Madurai airport on the Madurai Aruppukkottai Road with the Meenakshi Temple Towers and Thirupparankundram hill casing their bengin protection. Far from the madding crowd, the students can pursue their studies excellently well in the idyllic setting of the campus. There is a hostel attached to the college which can accomodate over 300 students. This college became a post graduate college in the academic year 1979-80 and offers M.A., M.Sc., M.Com., M.Phil. and Ph.D., Courses. A computer centre was established in this college in the year 1989.

A new library known as Silver Jubilee building was built at a cost Rs. 25 lakhs and it was inaugurated by His Excellency Dr. Chenna Reddy, the Governor of Tamilnadu on 4.4.1994. The library was dedicated to the memory of Achi. The major donor of this building was Thirumathi Saraswathi Narayanan, the betterhalf of the Founder President Thiru. L. Narayanan Chettiar. A research centre was also inaugurated on the same day by the Governor. The college became an autonomous institution in 2007.